If you are using wood pellet heating you may know the benefits of switching to this type of heat. Not only will you reduce your company’s carbon footprint, you may also be eligible for the Renewable Heat Incentive. If you are considering switching in order to qualify for the incentive, there are a few things that you should understand:
- The Renewable Heat Incentive or RHI was implemented to reduce carbon emissions. In fact, it aims to lower these emissions by 44m tonnes. This is planned to be accomplished by 2020. Those who switch to wood heating or solar power are awarded by the government for their efforts in reducing their carbon footprint.
- This is a financial incentive that was designed to promote alternative energy sources. Those who implement renewable heating are eligible and the incentive is paid by the Treasury. Many compare the RHI to the Feed In Tariff which has been very successful in the past.
- The RHI applies to many forms of renewable heat such as wood and pellet boilers as well as solar panel installation.
- To qualify for the RHI, you should have a renewable heat system installed that is MCS accredited with the exception of boilers that are over 45kW. These are not required to be accredited by the MCS.
- If you qualify and you have had a renewable heat source installed, your building will be fitted with a heat meter so that the proper amount of RHI can be determined. The meter will tell how much heat you are generating and how much heat you are using.
If you run a business such as a hospital, pub, hotel or other, you can benefit significantly from switching to a renewable source of heating. You can learn more about renewable heating sources and determine approximately how much energy you could save by switching your heat source. In addition to the monthly savings on your energy bills, you will also qualify for the RHI which can be very beneficial as well.
This article was written by Enerfina, an independent market intermediary in the renewable energy sector. Learn more about the Renewable Heat Incentive by visiting us today.